Today’s prospect is a thumping linebacker with remarkable generation.
Excess weight: 255 (from Shrine Activity weigh-in)
Jersey: No. 4
Online games watched: Miami, Akron, Northern Illinois, Ohio ’17 & 18, Toledo (in human being), Shrine Activity tactics (in human being), Western Michigan ’16 (in human being)
- Tackling generation. Hodge racked up in excess of 400 tackles and led all NCAA gamers in solo tackles in excess of the very last 3 seasons. It is no incident he’s incredibly adept at getting to the ball and delivers serious pop driving his pads.
- Electricity. Hodge plays greater than his dimension many thanks in element to extraordinary energy and torque in his shoulders and wrists. It can help him make arm tackles additional efficiently, as effectively as jamming tight ends releasing into routes.
- Closing burst to the ball. He’s not a prolonged-velocity man but his 1-2-3 action burst to the point of assault is incredibly great. Hodge handles a ton of ground for his size.
- Quick-assortment coverage. Hodge can efficiently have the tight conclude to the security on release routes, and he’s conscious of his environment and obligations in his coverage drops. He’s incredibly great with the goal continue to in entrance of him.
- Shedding blocks. For a strong man, Hodge is only common at getting totally free from blocks, even from tight ends. He does not normally feeling the block coming till it’s as well late to prevent, which is very likely additional of the problem listed here.
- Anticipation. Relies additional on brief reactions than an early diagnosis of the play. That is a ton a lot easier to do in college than the NFL. This was additional obvious seeing him in human being than from video game film.
- Assortment. He can go from just one hash to the other on the broader college subject but Hodge does not have the sideline-to-sideline velocity or movement, specifically when he lines up on the exterior. The velocity and acceleration just are not there to chase down plays on the other side of the formation. It is also recognizable in coverage conditions.
- Body management. Even with the prodigious tackling figures, Hodge could have experienced even additional. His foot quickness and relative incapacity to stop his momentum in pursuit blend to make him operate earlier some possibilities (see Miami and Ohio games)
- Not a blitzer. Hodge was not questioned to blitz a ton for the Bulls, and when he did he was not particularly helpful. He does not prevent blocks effectively and has no real prepare or moves other than slamming into the line at entire velocity. Concluded with 5 job sacks.
Extremely successful college tackler with athletic constraints that will very likely relegate him to base defenses in the NFL. Intelligent, successful player between the tackles. Has some similarity to latest Lions LB Steve Longa, nevertheless with a little bit additional power and assortment.
In Detroit, Hodge would play an inside LB role driving odd fronts and the SAM role in even sets. He would help the inside-the-deal with-box defense versus each the operate and the small pass. Hodge assignments as a 4th-6th round prospect at this point.